DIY: Low carb spinach sauce
Nigerians call it vegetable soup but here in the US, it is referred to as spinach sauce. Regardless of what you call it, it is simply DELISH!
Expertise needed: Beginner but comfortable in a kitchen.
Cost: About $5
Carb count: About 1 carb gram per cup.
Feedback: Simply DELISH!
You will need:
- 2 bags of frozen spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (I used kosher himalayan salt)
- Herbs and spices of choice (I used thyme, rosemary and a tinge of curry powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions (I used frozen pre-chopped)
- 1/4 cup of sliced bell peppers (I used frozen pre-sliced)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock (only use this if you're using fresh ingredients instead of frozen)
Step 1: Heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan, add the onions and let it cook until clear.
Step 2: Add the frozen spinach, sliced bell pepper and all other ingredients then bring to a boil.
Step 3: Turn down the heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
NOTE: The amount of spinach and chicken stock you add will determine how thick or soupy it will be.
Serve alone, over rice, fufu or quinoa.
I hope you enjoyed this simple DIY project. Please take a moment to "like us" on Instagram and Facebook so I can continue to bring you beautiful content like this. And while you're at it, visit our store AyoBE Boutique for beautiful and unique African Print items for you and your loved ones.